thumb drive - huh?

Justin Gedge jgedge at amis.com
Mon Mar 14 15:43:00 MST 2005

I'd check the /var/log/messages file with

tail -f /var/log/messages

observe this as you plug the thumb drive in/out to see which device it's
being assigned too.  Some of these USB devices are a little tricky to
follow -- I've noticed that at work on RedHat7.3-- I can just add an
entry to the /etc/fstab file like you described-- and at home on
SuSE8.2-- It goes through with some proc daemon that auto mounts my usb
keychain.  Since I've formatted my flash keychain drive as an ext2
format-- I need to have an entry in the /etc/fstab to force it to ext2
fs.  At home-- the only trick is I have to manually unmount the
incorrectly mounted device and then manually remount it.

As far as you file.. the line you've added has an extra space between
*noauto,* and *users,*

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/thumb vfat,ext2,hfsplus noauto, users,dev 0 0
                         space right here --> X

Try pulling that out and see if everything works...

Justin Gedge