AIM TOS change

Dan Wilson dan at acucore.com
Mon Mar 14 11:31:34 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 11:17 -0700, Eric Jensen wrote:
> Steve Dibb wrote:
> That is tricky, but with enough exaggerated "hax0r" and various
> security, malware, virus, etc scary stories you can convert most of
> those types.  Something like "AOL *might* read your conversation!", all
> you get is a /shrug.  But if you spin it as them selling their
> information to a 3rd party, especially those interested in identify

I don't think you even need to go there... just quote the AIM TOS:

"In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its
parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the
irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform,
distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any
right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the
Content or to be compensated for any such uses."

I sent that to a couple buddies and they are switching.  AOL doesn't
mince words with this and it's pretty scary for most people... even if
they don't use it for anything other than simple chit-chat.

-Dan