AIM TOS change

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Mon Mar 14 11:05:42 MST 2005

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Alternatively, show AOL that you don't appreciate the new TOS by
> switching services. Now's a great time to switch to Jabber and encourage
> your friends to too. Jabber is a decentralized service. You can get
> accounts from jabber.org, jabber.plug.org, or setup your own server.

Switching is one thing, but it doesn't make a hill o' beans of
difference if 98% of your buddy list still use AOL, and you can't
convince them to change.  Or if they don't use gaim-encryption, either.

Heck, I still can't get anyone in my family to even switch to Firefox.
The last thing they're going to do is install some strangely different
protocol just so they can chat with me.

It's a great idea, but the majority I chat with don't care about
privacy, security or terms of service.  That, and I'm a poor free
software advocate. :)

Practically speaking, how *do* you convince friends and family to switch
to something else based on a matter of principle?

Steve