Wireless Routing Questions

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Mar 14 10:18:43 MST 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 04:33:28PM -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 15:46, Charles Curley wrote:
> > The other two will go in my office and lab. The one in the lab will
> > handle computers there via wired connections. The connection to the
> > ISP is in my office. One question is, can I route the lab traffic to
> > the Internet via the two wireless routers? Nothing in the manuals I've
> > seen clearly indicates whether I can do this or not.
>
> You're right, the manual is not clear. It should state that it is *not*
> possible to link two access points using the standard firmware.

Thanks. That rather kills it for what I want to do. Are there any
other solutions less expensive than running the cable?

I also want a wireless kit for my laptop(s), so I'll probably buy some
sort of 802.11g router and card.

Hmmm, I suppose instead of a second WRT54G in the lab, I could stick a
PCI 802.11g card into one of the lab computers and have it route for
the lab. Would that work? But that's more expensive than buying a
second WRT54G. Gnrrrr.

> I have gotten it to work, though, between a wrt54g and an actiondec dsl
> modem but it didn't work all that well for me and I don't recommend it.
> I had to enable client mode on the wrt54g which disables any access
> point features. That feature isn't available on the standard firmware. I
> upgraded to the Sveasoft firmware for that reason.

That's what I'd like to avoid. I don't want to add the cost of doing
so (my time) to the cost of the router. Plus, the AP to AP routing is
for production use.

> The connection was flakey. It would give out every so often and I
> couldn't figure out why. Arp requests on the actiontec side would go
> unanswered. I don't know if it was the actiontec or the linksys. I ended
> up dragging a cable across the house instead.
>
> There is another option, WDS repeater mode. The Samadhi firmware I am
> running doesn't support it and I didn't bother looking any further since
> the Actiontec doesn't either. From what I gather, that's the proper way
> to link two APs. The latest Sveasoft firmware does support it and I
> believe the ewrt firmware does too.
>
> Corey

Thanks.