thumb drive - huh?

Jared Bernard jared.bernard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:33:56 MST 2005

I'm not sure what's going on with my thumb drive on my main box.

first I 'mkdir /mnt/thumb'
edit /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
/dev/hda2 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,users,dev,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,users,dev,ro 0 0
/dev/floppy /mnt/floppy vfat,ext2,hfsplus noauto,users,dev 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/flash vfat,ext2,hfsplus noauto,users,dev 0 0

I add the following line the end:
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/thumb vfat,ext2,hfsplus noauto, users,dev 0 0

save.

plug in the thumb drive.

dir - /mnt/thumb and the last line in /etc/fstab disappears.

What's going on?

/dev/sda1 is a flash card reader, I assumed since the thumb drive is flash as
well that the entry in fstab should be similar. Though, even if it was
entered incorrectly what would make it disappear?

Is there something wrong with my entry in fstab?

JB