Wireless Routing Questions

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sat Mar 12 16:33:28 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 15:46, Charles Curley wrote:
> The other two will go in my office and lab. The one in the lab will
> handle computers there via wired connections. The connection to the
> ISP is in my office. One question is, can I route the lab traffic to
> the Internet via the two wireless routers? Nothing in the manuals I've
> seen clearly indicates whether I can do this or not.

You're right, the manual is not clear. It should state that it is *not*
possible to link two access points using the standard firmware.

I have gotten it to work, though, between a wrt54g and an actiondec dsl
modem but it didn't work all that well for me and I don't recommend it.
I had to enable client mode on the wrt54g which disables any access
point features. That feature isn't available on the standard firmware. I
upgraded to the Sveasoft firmware for that reason.

The connection was flakey. It would give out every so often and I
couldn't figure out why. Arp requests on the actiontec side would go
unanswered. I don't know if it was the actiontec or the linksys. I ended
up dragging a cable across the house instead.

There is another option, WDS repeater mode. The Samadhi firmware I am
running doesn't support it and I didn't bother looking any further since
the Actiontec doesn't either. From what I gather, that's the proper way
to link two APs. The latest Sveasoft firmware does support it and I
believe the ewrt firmware does too.

Corey