Wireless Routing Questions

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Mar 12 15:46:47 MST 2005

Some questions on wireless network routing. I am thinking of buying
three Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS routers. One will be for
experimenting, so I don't shoot myself by clobbering one of the other
two.

The other two will go in my office and lab. The one in the lab will
handle computers there via wired connections. The connection to the
ISP is in my office. One question is, can I route the lab traffic to
the Internet via the two wireless routers? Nothing in the manuals I've
seen clearly indicates whether I can do this or not.

Another question is whether it's worth the extra $70 ($20/router+$10
for a PCMCIA card) for the speed booster designation. I already know
it won't increase speed to the Internet, since the DSL connection is
the bottleneck there. It may help with connections between the office
and the lab, especially for backups (Amanda) and installations
(NFS). The speed booster will not help my current laptop.

Finally, any recommendation for a laptop wireless card to go with the
above? If I go with the speed booster, are there cards other than the
Linksys WPC54GS that have the speed booster?