Intuit hack

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Fri Mar 11 13:10:35 MST 2005

Here is a hack that allowed me to get to my tax return from last year at Intuit
in Firefox.

step 1: install java -

download/install JRE from Sun (need 1.4.2 or newer)
cd your_plugin_dir ;
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

step 2: install Adobe PDF plugin and convince the Intuit js script routine that
your really have it:

download/install Acrobat 5
cd your_plugin_dir
cp /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so "Acrobat Reader.so"
(note - make sure to name the file just right - a variation in the name is
possible, but you must have Acrobat Reader substring in the name of the file, or
Intuit JS will think you do not have Acrobat Reader plugin available, and will
refuse to work - also note that you must cp - ln does not do the trick to name
the plugin right).

restart Firefox

I imagine it would allow you to do the rest of the task to file the taxes, but I
used TaxSlayer.com this year - only 9.95 + a couple of calls to the IRS to
clarify some things.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting