Damaged CD

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Fri Mar 11 10:58:16 MST 2005

Eric Jensen wrote:
> Depends on where the damage is.  If the plastic (butter side) is damaged
> then you can get one of those CD buffers.  They make your disc look like
> it was used as a hockey puck, but for some reason it works.  I've use it
> on CDs, DVDs, GameCube games, etc and it worked great every time.  If
> the damage is done on the label side then there really isn't anything
> you can do.

I wonder if the reason it works, even though the CD buffer doesn't make
it look perfect, is due to some principals of optics.  If you have a
scratch in on your CD, then when the laser gets to that area there is a
major change in the refraction suddenly, and it doesn't like that. But,
if the whole area is buffed up and smeared, then the refraction is
smoother for that area and the disc reader can handle it better.

Just an educated guess, though.

Kenneth
kenneth at uvlug.org