The Human Interface

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Thu Mar 10 10:37:55 MST 2005

Wade Preston Shearer wrote:

>> I agree that zooming out of a game and checking on our other work would
>> be fun.
>

> I just think that the whole desktop model is bad. The whole reason
> that I use a computer is so that I do not have papers and tools spread
> all over my desk. I don't want to waste time and have the headache of
> sifting through documents, zooming in and out, reaching for pens or
> calculators. I love the digital age where the only thing on my desk is
> a keyboard, mouse, stylus, and display. All of the equipment of the
> office of the past (erasers, staplers, pens, post-it notes, paper,
> etc.) has all been rendered obsolete. The idea of things laid out
> where you can see them is nice, but having to zoom and pan across to
> find something won't work for power users. When I need to look up a
> note on my Stickie note, I want to cmd + tab and instantly be there
> instead of having to zoom out, scan for the right note, and then zoom
> back in.

>.===================================.
>| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
>|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
>|  IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net   |
>`==================================='

I would have to see more then a Flash demo for the OS.  I would imagine
if this was ever implimented that you could assign hotkeys to "sections"
of THE.  So if you want to look up a not on your Stickie you just hit
your hot key and you are instantly there.  Maybe even assign keywords,
open up a box and type Flash and it zaps you right to it.  The Flash
example is fun, but that definately isn't how I would lay out my
desktop.  I am very picky with organization, my file systems are full of
nested folders so everything is in a perfect, well described place.  I
think if they are clever enough to create something so wild, they will
be clever enough to put in methods for power users to get to what they
want very quickly.  Not to say this concept is the best solution for
computer management, but I'm starting to thing it is at least more
functional that I was originally thinking.  It reminds me a bit of
Enlightenment, for myself anyway.  When I first started using Linux for
my desktop I tried out Enlightment and for a good while I was very slow
with it and couldn't understand how anybody even functioned in it.
After about a month my productivity went through the roof and I was
zipping all over the place.  No start menu, taskbar, etc and it was
beautifull. ;)

Eric Jensen