Need Advice/Help -- Kernel/Network Routing

Alan Fullmer lists-alan at
Thu Mar 10 08:56:58 MST 2005

I have a question maybe someone can help with.

The O/S I am running is pretty much a vanilla install of Fedora Core 3.

I have two NIC's in the machine. Eth0 and Eth1

I am attempting to separate the two networks and its traffic.

ETH0 has a network of  mask and gw
ETH1 has a network of mask and gw

Since I have to have a default gateway, I have it set to

However, all traffic from the ETH1 goes out the default gateway, which I
guess makes sense.

I attempted to add a gw for that network through the route command, so I get

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface UG        0 0          0
eth1 U         0 0          0
eth1 U         0 0          0
eth0         UG        0 0          0

However the outbound traffic from IP still goes out the
default gateway.

My goal is to essentially create a router or something that directs all
traffic for each network to its proper gateway.

Thanks in advance for any help.

alan at