Tricky Deleting

Derek Carter goozbach at gurulabs.com
Tue Mar 8 16:58:33 MST 2005

Eric Jensen wrote:

> <snip>
> Quick question, what is the difference of doing something like:
>
> `find stuff | rm -rf ` and `find stuff | xargs rm -rf `?

find stuff | rm -rf  -- this command will generate a list of all 'found'
files and send that to STDIN of the rm command, the rm command will
erase all file paths sent to it from STDIN.

find stuff | xargs rm -rf  -- this command will generate a list of all
'found files and send that list to the xargs command which takes that
list and runs the command
supplied with each member of the list (eg rm -rf stuff1, rm -rf stuff2)

so the biggest difference is the number of rm processes you're creating,
one for the first command that deletes all the files, and one for each
'found' file with the second.

--
-----
Derek Carter <goozbach at gurulabs.com>