creating a DMZ -- seeking firewall advice

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Tue Mar 8 11:13:48 MST 2005

>so our small business is becoming a medium-sized business and we are
>planning on switching from a bunch of servers running iptables to a
>more enterprise layout with a couple of hardware firewalls creating a
>DMZ for our webservers.

this sounds like "um, hey - let's spend some money w/ cisco because it makes
us feel like an 'enterprise' instead of a 'small business'" kind of thing.

but hey, you may actually *need* to upgrade for a good reason - but what
*exactly* do you need that your iptables boxes cannot provide for you (aside
from the feel-good cisco brand) ?

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org

so our small business is becoming a medium-sized business and we are
planning on switching from a bunch of servers running iptables to a
more enterprise layout with a couple of hardware firewalls creating a
DMZ for our webservers.

Any advice? I head that Cisco PIX firewalls are industry standard for
this type of thing. Anyone have any experience with those? Is there a
less expensive but equally as robust firewall?

ideas?

mrb
| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |