Corrupt files with 3ware, 3w-9xxx driver?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Mar 6 22:19:55 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:01 -0700, Lance Grover wrote:
> I am having an interesting problem on a couple of servers, after
> putting files on it, especially if they are not plain text, we get
> file corruption.  The servers are high end Tyan motherboards, Xeon
> procs, 4GB mem, 3ware 9000 series RAID cards with SATA 250GB drives
> (16 total).  We are running samba-3.0.10-1.fc2 (samba 3.0.10 on
> FedoraCore2).  On friday, we put some files (5GB worth) on this box,
> and 2 hours latter some of the files were corrupt, I should say that
> our windows boxes have McAfee 8Oi running on them.  We then restored
> the files from the last backup and all the files worked, then 2-3
> hours latter they would not open again.  We had been using the files
> on a different samba server (same version and OS, just PATA drives
> with a raid controller that looks like scsi to the hardware), and
> there were no issues and they were on that box for about 2 weeks.  The
> only difference between the two boxes seems to be the hardware, even
> the kernels are the same (2.6.5-1.358smp), also the only difference in
> the smb.conf file is that the one server that corrupts the files has
> "encrypt passwords = yes" and the one that does not corrupt does not.

You're going to need to do testing to isolate where the corruption is
occurring.  For example, do the md5sums of these files change on the
file system?  From what you say, I would suggest that the Samba server
is not the cause of the problem.  If you could rule it out, then that
leaves the raid drivers as the probable suspect.  I have heard of data
corruption with hardware raids like 3ware under linux before.

Michael