Corrupt files with 3ware, 3w-9xxx driver?

Lance Grover lance.grover at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 22:01:53 MST 2005

I am having an interesting problem on a couple of servers, after
putting files on it, especially if they are not plain text, we get
file corruption.  The servers are high end Tyan motherboards, Xeon
procs, 4GB mem, 3ware 9000 series RAID cards with SATA 250GB drives
(16 total).  We are running samba-3.0.10-1.fc2 (samba 3.0.10 on
FedoraCore2).  On friday, we put some files (5GB worth) on this box,
and 2 hours latter some of the files were corrupt, I should say that
our windows boxes have McAfee 8Oi running on them.  We then restored
the files from the last backup and all the files worked, then 2-3
hours latter they would not open again.  We had been using the files
on a different samba server (same version and OS, just PATA drives
with a raid controller that looks like scsi to the hardware), and
there were no issues and they were on that box for about 2 weeks.  The
only difference between the two boxes seems to be the hardware, even
the kernels are the same (2.6.5-1.358smp), also the only difference in
the smb.conf file is that the one server that corrupts the files has
"encrypt passwords = yes" and the one that does not corrupt does not.

--
Thanks,

Lance Grover