GNU Arch

Alan Young alansyoungiii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:12:16 MST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:37:44 -0700, Eric Jensen <eric at emstraffic.com> wrote:
> environment.  For example, you can't just check out the code into your
> work folder and hack away since apache needs to feed it out if you want

There are ways to set a post commit script.

This is what I do:

When I commit the file(s) I run a script in the devel directory which
does a 'cvs update' from the devel directory.  This auto updates the
beta site whenever I do a commit.

If I include, as the first line, "It's life, but not as we know it."
in the commit message then another script is run which runs a script
in the live site which does a 'cvs update'.

If you have separate servers you can use lynx or wget to force an
update.  Kludgy, but it works.

You can do these in the CVSROOT/loginfo and CVSROOT/verifymsg files.
If you like I can give you some examples.

You might also consider using mod_cvs with apache.

> servers.  Also changed up the permissions so all coders can work on
> these files.  Which takes away the user tracking functionality of CVS.

Sounds like you might be using pserver.  How come not ssh?  Or is this
on a hosted server with only one user allowed?

If using pserver then use the passwd file.  Since the passwords are
sent in clear text don't use the /etc/passwd file and make sure they
don't use the same password as their login.  It's in the CVSROOT
directory and the format is

user:encryptedpasswd:systemuser

If 'user' and 'systemuser' are the same you don't need 'systemuser',
otherwise 'user' will be used for tracking and the files will be
accessed as 'systemuser'.
--
Alan