GNU Arch

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Fri Mar 4 15:37:44 MST 2005

We've also been looking into CVS or something like.  But I am having a
hard time even wrapping my head around it for a web development
environment.  For example, you can't just check out the code into your
work folder and hack away since apache needs to feed it out if you want
to test it.  For self contained projects that each user can run their
own instance of, it makes perfect sense.  Right now I have it setup so
the projects are always checked out into a development directory that
apache does serve and when you complete the testing you just commit the
files and then run a script that blasts it out to all the appropriate
servers.  Also changed up the permissions so all coders can work on
these files.  Which takes away the user tracking functionality of CVS.

You can really tell this is our first time with a CVS system.  I am very
interested in hearing about all the types of CVS-type systems out there
and their pros and cons for a web environment.  Or even just better ways
to lay it out.

Eric Jensen