GNU Arch

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:23:37 MST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:06:12PM -0700, Steve Meyers wrote:
> We're looking into possibly moving to something besides CVS for our
> version control.  One we are looking into is GNU Arch.  Unfortunately,
> it doesn't seem to be as well documented, and it seems it might be a bit
> immature at this point.  It does seem to have some cool features though.
>  Is anyone here using it, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I wouldn't say immature. It needs polishing, UI, etc. but its design is
the best I've seen so far of the open source batch. And it works well,
very well.

subversion is a pile of hacks. It is made to work, but just enough so that
people used to CVS can feel warm and cozy. It does very well at that,
hence the number of old CVS front-ends that have been made to work with
svn.

You might want to look at Bazaar, a version of GNU arch focused on
improving arch's UI, usability and front-end-ability. It was created and
maintained by the Canonical (Ubuntu) folks, and will remain as compatible
as possible with regular gnu arch.

-Roberto

--
Roberto Mello