Server at home

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Mar 4 13:54:02 MST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:34:10PM -0700, Thad Van Ry wrote:
> Okay, now that we all know the pluses and minuses of hosting a server
> on your own. :) I have a different question aimed at those of you who
> host your "hobby" website/e-mail servers at your house. I'm curious as
> to what ISP you use. Also mode of connection. (i.e. DSL, T1 (at
> home?), Wireless, or Cable) I'd also like to know what happens to your
> e-mail when/if your internet connection drops off. Do you have
> multiple mail exchange records at different places? Remember this is
> about a hobby/family server. Not business servers. Not mission
> critical stuff.

I use Comcast.  DNS from zoneedit.com (free!) with a script to watch
and auto-update when my IP changes.

I really only want to run web-type services so I have zoneedit forward
all mail for my domains to my comcast mail address.  I don't have to
run a mail server, and I don't have to give out my yucky @comcast.net
address.  I just have the MTA set the FROM: and only people who look at
the headers even know I'm a comcast user (hangs head in shame).

Zoneedit's web app is REALLY slow, but I haven't had any problems with
their DNS or mail forwarding.

And Comcast sucks for any kind of hosting (I skipped a lot of the last
flamewar^H^H^H^H^H^H^H thread on hosting, so if this has already been
said, just ignore me).  But when your upstream speed gets used up, it
completely kills your downstream.  I have to limit bt downloads to
6KB/s upload, and I can't even surf the web if I'm scp'ing a file from
home to work.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts