Server at home

Richard Esplin richjunk1 at byu.net
Fri Mar 4 13:45:06 MST 2005

When I considered running a server at home, I decided instead to lease a
linode (www.linode.com). The linode costs me about $20 a month, which at the
time was less than the difference between my slow DSL (Qwest's cheapest
product is about $25 a month), and a cable modem or high speed DSL (about $50
a month). The costs are still pretty comparable. I get all the nicieties of a
data center, such as a fat pipe and rare outages; though the provider does
take the node down for maintenance about once a quarter. I really enjoy not
having to worry about hardware failures and the associated expense. Since I
am not hosting a server in my home, having a slow connection there doesn't
bother me as much.

As a disclaimer, if I can get my neighbor to split the connection with me I
still might upgrade my home DSL to the fast connection. If I do so, I'll
reconsider the expense of keeping a linode once my lease is up next June.

Just another perspective.

Richard Esplin