Server at home

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Mar 4 13:03:37 MST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Thad Van Ry wrote:
> Okay, now that we all know the pluses and minuses of hosting a server
> on your own. :) I have a different question aimed at those of you who
> host your "hobby" website/e-mail servers at your house. I'm curious as
> to what ISP you use. Also mode of connection. (i.e. DSL, T1 (at
> home?), Wireless, or Cable) I'd also like to know what happens to your
> e-mail when/if your internet connection drops off. Do you have
> multiple mail exchange records at different places? Remember this is
> about a hobby/family server. Not business servers. Not mission
> critical stuff.

I host my hobby sites at home.
Connection: Qwest DSL (1.5M down/1M up)
ISP: Arosnet - 8 Static IPs

Mail:  Primary MX at home
        Secondary MX hosted by Arosnet

DNS:  Primary at home
       Slaves at Arosnet

This setup gives me maximum control while maintaining decent backup for
mail.  However this setup is prone to outages for www cause I am
constantly screwing it up.  :)  But that is why it is a "hobby" site.

--lonnie