In-house Hosting Options

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Fri Mar 4 09:51:47 MST 2005

>Like Sun hardware - come now... High end sun hardware kills PCs

right - that's why there are so many high-end sun machines in the top500
supercomputers (top500.org).  oh wait, um...there are hardly any suns
listed.

hey - wait a second..what's this?  a whole bunch of PC clusters in the
top500?  gee, that's weird...  ;-)

</sarcasm>

the big-iron SMP vs shared-nothing cluster debate rages on, but high-end sun
hardware, along with all the other monolithic smp machines have been
trailing on price/performance for quite a while now.  shared-nothing pc
clusters simply dominate raw performance as well as price/performance - not
to mention ease of provisioning.

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org