In-house Hosting Options

JStay at mediageneral.com JStay at mediageneral.com
Fri Mar 4 09:07:47 MST 2005

The only reason I see to host it in-house is if you have enough servers
to justify the cost.  Once you get near needing a certain bandwidth it
starts to begin being worth hosting it in-house.  At Media General (We
are in Richmond, VA - I'm a PLUG'er wannabe) we have over 100 Linux
servers, similar number Windows servers, and perhaps 10-20 HPUX
machines.  As a media company we have to be sure we always have a strong
enough connection to stay up so we need A LOT of bandwidth.  Although I
am not the one who made the decision, nor do I know all the details (I
am a developer, not an admin), I have been told it is much cheaper for
us to host in-house due to our needs.  I imagine only with a couple
servers and low bandwidth it would be better to host out of house.  Just
my $.02.

-Jesse