In-house Hosting Options

Peter Bowen peter at bowenfamily.org
Fri Mar 4 08:59:42 MST 2005

Eric,
    There are a ton of reasons to keep this stuff in house, the best of
which is "you get really good bandwidth for the office." Followed
closely by "It's cheap" :)  However, going through all of that work
still leaves you vulnerable to over or underbuying bandwith, and
reliability issues.  Generally, if you can go with either a co-lo or a
hosted solution, you will save money and headache.  When choosing, you
will want to look at facilities AND homing, that is how well connected
to the internet is your datacenter/ISP.  If your ISP has to go to SLC to
go to Denver to catch the backbone, that's two extra hops., and hops are
generally bad. <WARNING>Here comes a plug (no pun intended)</WARNING>

    We (globalservers.com) have a shared solution that looks dedicated.
We have awsome bandwidth and protection from floods,etc.  You get root
and for all intents and purposes it looks like a dedicated box without
the headaches.  And for what you get, it's MUCH more economical than
trying to run a farm over DSL.  Finally, we're really well homed, with
excellent connections to the backbone in Los Angeles.

    Allright, plug off...  Whatever you do, hosting it yourself is cheap
but not reliable, and as reliablility increases, so does cost and the
relationship is hyperbolic - it takes an order of magnitude more money
for each increase in reliability.  My advice is let somebody else spend
the money and figure out how to share so you're only paying a small part
of the total cost.  Good Luck.

-Peter