subversion woes!

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Mar 3 23:33:14 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 22:43 -0700, tuxgirl at gmail.com wrote:
> So, if I run:
> svn checkout file:///src/svn/cs345
> or
> svn checkout file:///src/svn/evilwm
> it works fine, and the files show up in their directory and such
>
> However, if I run:
> svn checkout file:///src/svn/website
>
> it gives the following errors:
> svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///src/svn/website'
> svn: Unknown FS type 'bdb'

I'm not sure how you have it set up but can you check out
`svn checkout file:///src/svn` and grab the other directories with it?

See this from the docs:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/re27.html

And some random page...
http://www.advogato.org/person/raph/diary.html?start=356 Reads:
My most recent bad experience with cryptic error messages was a simple
permissions problem in Subversion. A log file had 644 permissions, where
664 was needed. However, the actual error report looked something like
this:

svn: Couldn't find a repository
svn: No repository found in 'svn
+ssh://svn.ghostscript.com/home/subversion/fitz'

Trying to track the problem down, I ran svn locally on the machine
hosting the repository, resulting in this error:

svn: Couldn't open a repository.
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///home/subversion/fitz'
svn: Berkeley DB error
svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for
filesystem /home/subversion/fitz/db:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

I ended up diagnosing the problem using strace, which did print out a
clear and informative error message, once I found it:

open("/home/subversion/fitz/db/log.0000000002", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|
O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)