subversion woes!

tuxgirl at gmail.com tuxgirl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:19:37 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 11:10:53PM -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 22:43, tuxgirl at gmail.com wrote:
> > However, it gave me the following errors:
> > Repository lock acquired.
> > Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...
> > svn: Unknown FS type 'bdb'
> >
> > I'm assuming it's having problems with the berkeley db, but I'm not sure
> > why, or why it wouldn't be having problems on the other projects in the
> > repository... I'm pretty sure that subversion is not using berkdb,
> > that's confusing me.
>
> You most definitely are using berkely db. That's how subversion works.
> Whereas cvs stores all your source files as files, subversion sticks
> them into a berkley db. I don't know all the details, but that's the
> 20,000 foot view.
>
> I have no idea what you broke, though. Have you tried the subversion
> mailing list?

i posted the problem on svnforum.org, but there have been no responses
(and it's been a couple of days.

as far as providing a bit of new information: i recall that after
talking to someone on irc, i specifically compiled svn without berkdb
support (it is possible).  my other projects in the repository don't
appear to be working through berkeley db, however this one has binary
files that appear to be from berkeley db...

i vaguely recall that i had originally set up svn on my laptop, and that
i then transferred it over to my desktop.  i don't remember if i had set
it up without berkeley db support on my laptop though, so it's possible
that i might've done something really strange and somehow gotten my
website set up under berkeley db, and caused this...

i just thought of something...  would it be possible for me to install
subversion (with berkdb support) on my laptop, and bring the files back
over here, and then use that to pull these files out, and then uninstall
it, and get it set up without berkdb again?

or is there an easier way?  i'd just like my website back :)

Erin Sharmahd           TuxGirl at gmail.com
CS Student              Unix Users Group
PGP Fingerprint:
F352 FF41 EA0A 67E4 566B 3B5B E65A D3DC 083E 9336