Hosting on at your own location

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Thu Mar 3 17:10:16 MST 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 01:49 pm, Steve Meyers wrote:
> Nick Barker wrote:
> > Has anyone considered using Cable?  Commercial cable is actually a good
> > solution.  Just a thought.
>
> As long as you ignore the dynamic IP....  Yes, even for business
> accounts, Comcast can't scrape up a static IP address.  Also, their best
> option is still limited to 512Kbps upstream, which is generally not good
> enough for hosting.

<plug for my town>

Not commercial, but Spanish Fork City has extremely reliable cable service,
and, if I am not mistaken, also offers colocation services.  They are
currently 3Mbps down, 1.5 up, soon to increase, and become synchronous as
well.  For residential service I pay $30-something a month. When I requested
a static ip, they simply responded, "how many?"

So far, their network has survived all of the typical SF power outages I've
been through in the last 2 years.  (I've always been able to use the network
and watch TV during power outages in SF)

They have an aggressive plan for providing service to all of the businesses in
town that want it, and in my experience they have always provided excellent
customer service.

</plug>

--
Respectfully,