In-house Hosting Options

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Thu Mar 3 13:37:48 MST 2005

>So what are our options if we want to keep the equipment in-house?

you should consider getting over the "keeping it in house" idea - just get a
couple of U's of rackspace at a colo provider, and sign up for their minimum
bandwidth commitment.  it'll set you back a few hundred per month, but
everything will work just fine (btw - most colos do not have 4-5 major
backbone providers - they usually have 1-2, sometimes 3 - but they do have
more bandwidth than you will ever need, and redundant power and cold air).
i suggest starting out by checking out xmission and go from there.

if you want to keep the equipment in house, you better be close to a CO, and
DSL should be just fine.  if you are far away (> 25K feet) then you are SOL,
and need to go with a colo.

for DSL, check out speakeasy - type in your address and they will be able to
tell you how far away you are from the nearest CO.  they are the most
technical, no-nonsense isp out there.  they know what they are doing and
should be able to hook you up.

all the T1, DS3 reliability, low-latency, blah blah stuff is nonsense.  a T1
will set you back ~$500/mo and the only thing it'll be good for is that it's
a full 1.5Mbit symmetric and you can call to complain if something doesnt
work out.  if you are close to the CO, and your isp is full-service wrt to
static ips then your dsl line will work just fine.  latency is all about the
same.

but you should really colo it somewhere - it'll save you a lot of headache
in the long run.

HTH, YMMV, etc.

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org