In-house Hosting Options

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Thu Mar 3 13:30:44 MST 2005

Not long ago, Eric Jensen proclaimed...
> Not sure I follow what you are saying.  Internet goes down for many
> companies, including colocation facilities.  So we should just pack up
> our business because there might be occasional downtime?
>
> I'm very interested in feedback, I want to know the pros and cons to
> going this route and find all my options before making any investments.
> 'Tis why I asked the plug to begin with.

We have several of our own servers at XMission and manage others for clients
at XMission and at other colocation facilities. XMission, for example, has
several connections to tier-1 backbone providers like UUNet and AT&T, as
well as a DS3 to the Palo Alto Internet Exchange (PAIX). So, if a
connection goes down, it doesn't spell the end of the road. On top of this,
they have battery backup for power and natural gas generators behind that.
They have people on staff 24/7 to respond to any and all contingencies that
may negatively affect your servers' connectivity.

Contrast that to you running a server or a farm of servers in your own data
center with DSL or T1 lines? To match the level of uptime guaranteed by a
colocation facility like XMission you'd have to spend thousands every month
and incur tens of thousands in upfront costs.

 "Hospitals are sued by 7 foot doctors"
    -- Headline seen in newspaper