In-house Hosting Options

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Thu Mar 3 13:00:50 MST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Eric Jensen wrote:
> So I take that's what the advantage of T1s are?  I never understood
> that either as DSL can go faster then a T1 and significantly cheaper,
> but I haven't seen a way to combine the bandwidth for one IP.  I've
> also seen DC3 connections from a few ISPs that are up to 20,000 a
> month.  But still at a very poor bandwidth.  I just don't understand
> what makes these different connections so special.

There is a difference, mostly in latency and possible b/w ranges.

You can get ADSL anywhere from 256k to 1.5M fairly cheaply.  This will
have an average latency around 30-40ms.  Generally these connections
are not treated as mission-critical by Qwest, and can have acceptable
burps in connectivity.

A T1 line costs a lot more, and can range from 56k to 1.5M.  These
typically have very low latency (0-1ms).  These have extremely high
availability, and amazing uptime.

A DS3 costs even more, but is capable of b/w up to 45M (IIRC).  Super
low latency.  same high availability.  Common for large companies, and
ISPs.

--lonnie