In-house Hosting Options

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Thu Mar 3 12:34:20 MST 2005

Eric Jensen wrote:
> For $150-200 a month you can get a 384kb/s line that is,
> according to them, perfect for web hosting.  That just doesn't make
> sense to me.  When most users now days have closer to 1.5mb DSL (at
> around $30-40 a month mind you) how could you support even 10 hits at a
> time and not get complaints about it being too slow?
> Eric Jensen

As long as you are only hosting out basic webpages, then a 384kb/s line
is fine.  Web traffic is usually pretty minimal per connection.  If you
are hosting out something more advanced, such as flash, or large files
continually, then you will want more bandwidth.

Is this connection going to be shared for the whole office, or is this a
dedicated line for the webserver?  If you have other people behind that
line, then you will probably notice slowdowns.