In-house Hosting Options

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Thu Mar 3 12:25:47 MST 2005

Going to be launching a business management system and we are going to
host the web sites instead of distribute our code base.  This is where
my knowledge gets pretty sparse.   We would really like to run our own
servers from our location isntead of colocate.  I looked at a few ISPs
and what they offer for DSL lines with a static IP and have not been
impressed.  For $150-200 a month you can get a 384kb/s line that is,
according to them, perfect for web hosting.  That just doesn't make
sense to me.  When most users now days have closer to 1.5mb DSL (at
around $30-40 a month mind you) how could you support even 10 hits at a
time and not get complaints about it being too slow?  We were thinking
of getting one line with a static IP and then a bunch of 1.5mb standard
lines and merging them.  We think that will work fine for download, but
not upload since we would go out on a different IP.  Seems like it would
really screw up DNS, amongst other things I'm sure.  So what are our
options if we want to keep the equipment in-house?  Am I missing
something with these 384-ish DSL lines designed for small-medium businesses?

Eric Jensen