Broadvoice

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 09:04:14 MST 2005

They look like a competitor to Vonage (www.vonage.com).
Have you considered switching to them?

I'm actually looking to get the company I work for on some
sort of long distance set rate IP plan.  I don't care so much about
the VoIP part, what I care about is the tremendous cost savings
over tradition long distance.

Competition is always good, so hopefully as these long distance VoIP
solutions become mainstream, traditional long distance will lower their price
to compete with VoIP.  Currently, traditional long distance carriers
argue that these solutions are unreliable - an argument that may have
a lot of weight given your experience.

I've heard that long distance VoIP has got the States and the telecom
industry in a cold sweat.  The government (local/federal) have heavily
taxed phone service.  (Economically this is because phone service has
been and still is to a large degree monopolistic, which makes it
inelastic, meaning a 1% increase in price will mean less than a 1%
decrease in price.  This fact makes taxing phone service very
attractive to government.)  But the party is drawing to a close since
internet traffic is not taxed and would be hard to tax.  So government
is worried and the telecoms are lobbying them hard in effort to
protect their industry.  Some interesting laws may arise from this
relationship, however, the future, I believe is a world where one will
only have phone service - not long distance and local service.  I, for
one, can hardly wait!

My .02 cents.

KSL welcomes contrasting points of view....as do I.