java help

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:01:02 MST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:34:01 -0800 (PST), nikhil purwant
> so please if anybody can send me his/her .bash_profile
> file or other changed file(s) so as to install java
> that will be very helpful
>
> thank you

That's strange that you're getting that libjava.so error.  Java should
have been installed in /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01.  Verify that the
installation is OK by executing the following command:
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/bin/java -version

If it comes back with that libjava.so error, then something may be
wrong with your installation.  If the command returns the version then
do the following:

cd /usr/java
ln -s jdk1.5.0_01 jdk
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
java -version

Again the java version should come back -- no errors.  Now execute the
following command:

cat <<EOF > /etc/profile.d/java.sh
#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk
export JDK_HOME=$JAVA_HOME
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
EOF

This will overwrite your /etc/profile.d/java.sh with the text above.
Logout and log back in and then execute:  java -version

The java version should come back with no errors.

-Bryan