Certificate Authority

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:04:53 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 11:39 -0700, Scott Jackman wrote:
> There was a discussion a couple of months ago about cheap certificate
> authorities, and it was  mentioned that GoDaddy had a $29 product.  I
> have a small non-commercial web-site that I want to enable SSL on.  In
> my research I found www.cacert.org which does free SSL certificate
> signing.
>
> Has anyone used or heard of CAcert and can tell me why I should or
> shouldn't use this service over GoDaddy or a larger entity such as
> Veri$ign?

cacert.org is pretty much the same as setting up your own CA and signing
your own certificates (which I already do).  The CA cert is not in any
major browser, so users are still presented with that dialog box asking
if they want to proceed.  Of course with cacert.org, a user only has to
accetp the CA cert once and then all cacert.org signed certs work.

What I do is create my own CA, sign my own certs, and then provide a
link where the user can download and install (this is automated on all
browsers once they click on it) my CA cert and then all my signed certs
are accepted automatically from then on.

Michael