Certificate Authority

Loren Chandler loren at shopsite.com
Wed Mar 2 11:56:23 MST 2005

Their goal may be to have their CA included in major browsers, but I
don't think they are there yet. When I went to their sign-up page, which
goes to their secure domain, neither Mozilla nor FireFox recognized
their CA so both gave me a certificate warning. So it just depends on
how seamless you want the SSL on your site to be for the people who
browse it. If you get a cert from this CA, or self-sign one, then people
will most likely see the browser warning when they first encounter it,
and will have to accept it before they can see your SSL-protected
content. If you pay for a cert, you will not be as likely to have this
problem because more browsers will already have the CA in them by
default. And generally the more you pay for the cert, the more browsers
will support your CA/cert already.

-Loren