Threads and processes

Jayce^ jason at infogenix.com
Tue Mar 1 16:00:24 MST 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 03:20 pm, Jake Pollmann wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:02:08 -0700 (MST), David Smith <DavidSmith at byu.net>
wrote:
> > Here are two process questions for the kernel heads:
> >
> > 1. I am developing a multi-threaded app in C++ for Linux. Under RHEL 3.0,
> > when I do 'ps -A', my app shows up just once, but under Debian Unstable,
> > 'ps -A' shows 10 (the number of threads I have).
>
> I'm nearly certain I'm not qualified to comment on this, but could it
> be due to Redhat's use of nptl?  I don't belive that Debian's 2.4
> kernels use it, but I'm certain that RHEL 3.0 does.

Actually, if it is a newer kernel, it's possible that there is more than that.
I know that the kernel has changed how it reports shared memory size
recently.  I really don't know the gory details, just that it has broken
quite a few things that used to depend on that (such as apache VMonitor, and
related tools).

might be something too look at.  I know there was a discussion about it on the
LKML coming from the mod_perl group.

--
Jayce^