Threads and processes

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:48:50 MST 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 03:20 pm, Jake Pollmann wrote:
> I'm nearly certain I'm not qualified to comment on this, but could it
> be due to Redhat's use of nptl?  I don't belive that Debian's 2.4
> kernels use it, but I'm certain that RHEL 3.0 does.

NPTL doesn't really change the way the kernel expresses a thread--they are
still processes created via clone() that share certain resources (code and
memory space, file descriptors).  Thus they should still show up the same in
the process listings. AFAIU NPTL is an improvement to the pthread library
that requires some kernel support--accessed via newer apis which use
better/faster algorithms to do some of the same chores.  (for example O(1)
bound on exit() calls, etc.)

Someone, please correct me where I am wrong...

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC