Matches in a database.

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Jun 28 17:36:50 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 12:05 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> The MySQL documentation was pretty funny back when the preferred
> response to an important feature MySQL didn't have was to claim it
> wasn't necessary and even a Bad Idea.

That's exactly why when I moved away from MSSQL Server to an open source
alternative, I choose to learn PostgreSQL.  I really favored MySQL for
about two weeks.  It seems silly, but at the time (and even now) they
did a better job of selling themselves.  I bought into it.

After reading things like the link you posted, I couldn't believe it.  I
wasn't hearing this junk from a punk kid on irc, it was from someone who
was leading the project.  After checking out PostgreSQL, the things I
heard sounded like PG was moving in a direction that I could feel
comfortable with.  Anyway, I'm with PG today and very happy.

I don't write this to start a flame war.  I'm sure everyone who cares
has an opinion.  I will keep my eye on MySQL and what the future brings.
When I offer ideas on how to do something and it happens to be PG
specific, it's because thats what I know.  I share it hoping it will add
to the discussion.

Thank goodness for choice.

Gabe