Help! Server mainboard emits dual-tone alarm and does nothing else

Derek Carter goozbach at gurulabs.com
Wed Jun 22 22:54:38 MDT 2005

Chad H. wrote:
> Doran Barton wrote:
< snip >
>> onboard speaker begins emiting a dual-tone alarm. It sounds
>> like a
>> British ambulance.
>> I've tried configuring the system as a single-CPU. I've tried the
>> "disconnect everything" approach. Nothing changes.
>>
>> Someone please save me from this hell.

> I don't know if this applies but the "European Siren" sound coming fom
> my MSI board indicates an overheat situation. sounds to me the built in
> heat detection settings in the board are set farly low. you might try
> increasing them to a more acceptable range.. and as far as it not doing
> anything..  The "TECH" ( I use the term lightly ) from whom I bought my
> whole setup had forgotten to add CPU Paste to the CPU.. This renedered
> the board useless.. as "I THINK" tho not sure that somehow the MSI
> boards are measuring resistance or something across the top of the chip.
> as soon as paste was applied.. BANG everything went to working.. Just my
> 2 cents and experience with MSI..
>
> I hope this sheds a little light on the situation.
>
> Chad Harris

ditto... I burnt up a MSI motherboard do to overheating as well. I had
the same exact symptoms Doran.

The problem with mine was that the 'overheat protection' (something MSI
built to protect those pesky infiernos called thunderbirds) circutry was
broken and the board wouldn't allow the system to post.

good luck man.

--
-----
Derek Carter <goozbach at gurulabs.com>