Help! Server mainboard emits dual-tone alarm and does nothing else

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Wed Jun 22 18:57:00 MDT 2005

I'm building a server for a customer and things are not going well. I'm
hoping someone on the PLUG list can shed some light on my problem before
the motherboard manufacturer gets around to replying to my mail begging for
enlightenment.

I'm installing a two AMD Opteron 244 CPUs in a MSI K8D Master3-FA4R
motherboard. I went to Kingston's website and matched up some RAM for this
specific board since the requirements are fairly strict with regard to
Registered, ECC, voltage, CSL, etc.

Every time I power up the system, it does nothing for about 15 seconds and
then the onboard speaker begins emiting a dual-tone alarm. It sounds like a
British ambulance.

I've tried configuring the system as a single-CPU. I've tried the
"disconnect everything" approach. Nothing changes.

Someone please save me from this hell.

 "Not to be used as protection from a tornado."
    -- A label seen on a blanket