Printing shipping labels using Perl

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:34:16 MDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+plug at beatties.us> wrote:
> I've had a side project to help someone come up with a way to print
> labels for a/any shipping carrier.  I've been meaning to help for a
> couple months but I haven't found a way to do this in my spare time.
> The only requirements are that it takes the address info from a csv
> dump.  There (?used?) to be a perl api for this, but apparently UPS
> threatened to sue the guy and it's no longer maintained on CPAN.  I have
> been unable to find any other API that provides a way to login to a
> shipper and pay for the shipping amount and get a label that can be
> printed and put on the package to ship.
>
> If anyone has worked with online shopping carts (Or just accessing an
> online shipping provider's api) and using perl, what would you recommend
> for getting something like this done?  I'd take anything from links,
> documents, code examples, or if it's something you could come up with in
> a couple hours some sort of trade just to get this done.  I'm not being
> paid, just trying to help out but it would be worth something for me to
> get this done and off my back. :)  "How hard can it to print under
> linux?"(tm). :)

Wow, I am building a similar project, using PHP.  I have the internal
barcodes printing to a remote printer but nothing is set for any
particular shipper as of yet.  That's the part I am working on.  My
implementation won't be in perl, but if I come up with something it
should be trivial to rewrite it.

I'll keep on the lookout.

--
-- Matthew Frederico