RPM error - error: %pre(dbus-0.22-12.EL.2.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 255

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Thu Jun 16 15:28:09 MDT 2005

K,  I've had this error before, on a different system but it wasn't an
important system and I needed to test the latest release of RHEL(centos)
so I just wipped it and its been fine since.

However, now I'm getting this error when doing a yum upgrade on a Dell
PE1650, running CentOS 4.

error: %pre(dbus-0.22-12.EL.2.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping dbus-0.22-12.EL.2

Updated: dbus.i386 0:0.22-12.EL.2
Complete!
[root at trinity sysconfig]# rpm -V dbus
........?   /usr/bin/dbus-cleanup-sockets
........?   /usr/bin/dbus-daemon-1
........?   /usr/bin/dbus-send
........?   /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.0.0.0

Only it doesn't update the RPM. Its more than just this RPM, and I've
deleted it and redownloaded it a couple times with the same result.
I've googled for a while and haven't turned up anything to promising,
I've deleted the /var/lib/rpm/__db* files and ran "rpm --rebuild".
Anyone else run into this?  harware problems?
Any insites would be helpful.  I haven't brought it down yet to perform
an fsck on the disks yet, but I'm not sure that will fix this, or will it?

Mitch