All possible combinations algorithm

Ryan Byrd ryanbyrd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:48:10 MDT 2005

Stuart's presents a tough online character, doesn't he?. Don't worry,
he's much nicer in real life. Josh comes off as a jerk sometimes as
well. He, too, is much nicer in real life. :) Also, he's a freakin'
genius. (Stuart's no dummy either.)

Some ideas that might be related:

1- as mentioned, you're trying to find permutations. searching for
"php permutation function" in google returned a few solutions

2- once a particular subset of permutations is found, the remainders
are simply those strings reversed

3- here's an algorithm that I thought of: take the first string and
form permutations that begin with that string. then shift and wrap
through those permutations to get the remainders. for example, with
array a,b,c,d
i) the original ones
abcd
abdc