All possible combinations algorithm

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Jun 15 10:05:18 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 09:35 -0600, Dan Wilson wrote:
> Wow... leave it Josh to bring someone else down in order to make himself
> look that much more intelligent.  That was pretty jerk.

Oh come off it, if anyone's a jerk it's you for unfairly attacking Josh.
He asked a valid question. Your question has multiple obvious answers
that anyone with a CS degree or sufficient real world experience would
be able to find easily. All of them, unfortunately, is O(n!). The only
way to discover which is best is benchmarking.

Now if you were looking for something other than an O(n!) algorithm, you
should have said so. You should have probably also asked somewhere else.
The Plug list has only a handful of people that might be able help you,
ironically one of them is Josh.

I would suggest instead consulting Dr. Google. Some search terms you
might find helpful: array permutation efficient algorithm factorial

Face it, you did a poor job of presenting your question. Josh pointed
out it was simplistic and wanted to make sure you weren't a student
trying to get someone else to do his work. When you realized you looked
foolish, you lashed out instead of clarifying. Hardly Josh's fault.

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden