Linux Sound

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Fri Jun 10 17:14:13 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:

>If you're still using gnome, the problem might be esd. Try killing all
>esd processes.

Bah, no good.  This is usually the error I get, btw:
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
resource busy
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default

Maybe I am mistaken and it didn't work on my last install either, but I
just never noticed it.  I did just barely get a new Dell workstation and
am using the onboard Audio.  It's AC97, which always seems to work well
for me (the VIA chip set anyway).   Thanks for the help, I may just have
to deal with it for now.  I'll keep googling and hitting forums and
hopefully I can be done with this annoyance some day.

Eric