database design

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Jun 10 13:43:42 MDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:55:58AM -0600, Stephen Smith wrote:
> Only NULL tells the truth in the data...the datum is unknown.  When
> bogus data is used to populate required fields, it will inevitably
> end up on a report that someone will misinterpret often to near
> catestrophic results for business.

Point well taken.  This is largely a question of application data set
semantics.  For the record, I am a proponent of setting up your
relational model in such a way so that you can differentiate between
``undefined'' and ``blank'' without having to resort to the
abomination that is NULL.

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

We have no formal dictionary for the images of our dreams.