database design

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Thu Jun 9 14:32:53 MDT 2005

 > What's the benefit of adding the option of IS NULL when you usually have to
check to see if its also blank (field = '' OR field IS NULL)?

I think a field in a database should be declared with NOT NULL by default, but I
believe ANSI SQL says otherwise. It is very rare that you would need a NULL in a
regular field - I've never used it in the last 7 years that I've worked with
databases. The only time it would be useful is if '' means something else to
your application. Even then, I would much rather prefer to have a separate
relationship table.

So, in short, declare your fields NOT NULL whenever possible. The optimizer
would love you.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting