database design

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at
Thu Jun 9 12:49:12 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 11:57 -0600, kirk wrote:
> I have also read that allowing a field to be NULL slows down your
> queries.

I doubt that it would change anything unless that field is a Primary Key
or a Foreign Key.  Most PKs are really just a field that is "NOT NULL"
and Unique (requires an index), so that would take care of any NULLs
getting in there.  As for indexing on the FK or any other field, I guess
you would have to know how the index was being made.  I'm sure NULLs
effect each strategy differently.