EPS 12V 8-pin connector

Topher Fischer javert42 at cs.byu.edu
Wed Jun 8 13:54:54 MDT 2005

I have a dual Athlon MP motherboard (a Tyan Thunder K7X Pro) and an EPS
power supply.  The motherboard has an EPS 12V 24-pin connector and an
EPS 12V 8-pin connector.  The power supply has an EPS 12V 24-pin, EPS
12V 8-pin, and an ATX 12V 4-pin.  My problem is that the 8-pin cable
from the power supply doesn't quite reach the connector on the
motherboard, but the 4-pin does.  I can plug the 4-pin cable into one
side of the 8-pin connector and it can power up.  My question is, what
exactly is the 8-pin connector for?  What are the benefits of using the
EPS over the ATX?  Also, anybody know a good place to get an extender
cable for the 8-pin?

Thanks in advance,

--
Topher Fischer
GnuPG Fingerprint: 3597 1B8D C7A5 C5AF 2E19  EFF5 2FC3 BE99 D123 6674
javert42 at cs.byu.edu